Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
For a hearty, homely meal try Alan Coxon's tasty recipe for gammon, served with a tasty cheese sauce.
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk, warmed
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled, quartered
- 2 ham steaks
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Stir in the flour and cook gently, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add in the warmed milk, stirring well as you do so. Cook, stirring, until the mixture has thickened into a white sauce.
- Add the nutmeg and Cheddar cheese, stirring well. Cook gently until the cheese has melted.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Broil the ham steaks until cooked on one side. Turn over the steaks.
- Top the uncooked side of the ham steaks with the hard-boiled egg quarters. Spoon over the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the cayenne and Parmesan and cook briefly under the broiler until glazed. Serve at once.
- Excess sauce can be stored away in a air-tight container for up to two days.