Recipe by LilPinkieJ
Another apple recipe from Gamma Betty. She happens to be the best Gamma baker/cook I have ever known. I got this recipe from her when I was little. Growing up on the dairy farm, I used to watch her in the kitchen, trying to learn how to cook and bake. She had 9 kids and 7 of them are boys, so this lady can make anything and lots of it! Plus we always had fresh milk (the good stuff that you had to shake the cream back down into it), fresh butter (this was the grandkids job), and fresh chicken (this is not a nice memory).
Top Review by DomesticatedDiva
just finsihed making this and it was delicious!! i have never made an apple cake before and was looking for something simple and similar to what my mom used to make when i was a kid. this was very close and possibly a bit better than hers. the cake had a great texture, and was very moist. it wasnt too sweet, but it did have to bake a bit longer probally closer to 50 minutes but it could just be my oven. i baked it in a 9inch round cake pan. great recipe! i might use more "sprinkles" next time but otherwise over all simple and delicious!
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (small dash)
- 1 cup milk
- 6 apples, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease an 8" or 9" square pan. I often use a loaf pan too.
- Cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Add well beaten egg and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, alternating with milk. Mix batter for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour half the batter into your greased pan. Press half of the apples into the batter.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Pour remaining batter over the first layer.
- Press remaining apple slices into batter and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350°F.