Recipe by LilPinkieJ
Good stuff. We love apples obviously. This is Gamma Betty's recipe from a scrap of paper that is nearly see through from everything spilled on it. I asked Gamma for the recipe and she looked at me like I was crazy. Gamma is an 'eye-ball it' kinda gal. I assure you though, these are wonderful.
Top Review by 2Bleu
These delicious treats are like onion rings, only better. Very easy to make, the only suggestion is to put lemon juice on the apples to avoid turning brown. We served them with powdered sugar atop bowls of oatmeal. :)
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup flour, sifted
- 3 granny smith apples
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- vegetable oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolk with water, oil and salt.
- Add flour and beat until smooth.
- Let stand at room temperature for about an hour.
- Preheat oil in deep-fryer to 375°F.
- Peel and core apples, then cut into 1/4-inch rings. Add into batter.
- Beat egg white until stiff; fold into batter.
- Deep-fry, turning once, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper bags or paper towel.
- Dust with confectioners sugar before serving.