Recipe by Sharon123
Buffalo wings were created in Buffalo, New York. One story goes, buffalo wings were first prepared at the Anchor Bar by Teressa Belissimo, who owned the bar along with her husband Frank. Upon the unannounced, late-night arrival of their son, Dominic, with several of his friends from college, Teressa needed a fast and easy snack to present to her hungry guests. It was then that she came up with the idea of deep frying chicken wings (normally thrown away or reserved for stock) and tossing them in cayenne hot sauce. This vegan version has all the taste of the original version, but not the meat. Adapted from Joni Marie Newman, a great game snack! Joni has some great recipes!
- 16 finger sized chunks extra firm tofu, drained and pressed (or seitan, or tempeh, or gardein strips)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (more if you like lots of pepper)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (235 ml)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup nondairy butter, melted
- 2 -4 tablespoons hot sauce, depending on how spicy you like it (30-60 ml)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Cool Ranch Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise (store bought or homemade-225 g)
- 1⁄2 cup nondairy sour cream (store bought or homemade-120 g)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley (or 1-2 tbls. fresh parsley, chopped fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill (or 1 tbls. fresh dill, chopped fine)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make wings:.
- Cut tofu (or seitan, or tempeh, or gardein strips) into 16 "chicken finger" sized pieces.
- Set up a breading station. In one shallow dish, mix together flour, pepper, paprika, oregano and basil.
- In a seperate dish, place the coconut milk.
- Double dredge one "wing" by first dipping it into the coconut milk, then into the flour mixture, then back into the coconut milk, then back into the batter.
- Place in the hot oil and fry until golden, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat with remaining wings.
- To make the Buffalo Sauce, melt butter and stir in hot sauce, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Place fried wings in a bowl and pour Buffalo sauce all over wings.
- Gently toss to coat.
- To make Cool Ranch Dressing, mix all of the ingredients together until well incorporated. This makes about 1 1/2 cups dressing.
- Store dressing in an airtight container for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.