Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I just had an idea & came up with this! Add/Subract whatever pleezes you!!! Grill, broil or fry the bratwurt, but do NOT use the pre-cooked kind. I personally don't care for the brown sugar in this, but the wife does.
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 teaspoon gr. coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gr. ginger
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (optional)
- 16 ounces sauerkraut
- 8 -10 cooked bratwursts
- beer (optional)
- bun (optional)
- Empty sauerkraut into a collander & rinse VERY well with cold water & let drain.
- Melt butter in a large fry pan.
- Add the chopped onion & season with the coriander & ginger.
- Cook onion until soft, stirring often.
- Add the chopped apple, caraway seed & mustard seed. & cook until apple is soft & onion is slightly brown.
- Stir in the drained sauerkraut & brown sugar -- heat thoroughly.
- If desired, add some of your favorite beer to taste.
- Top with the cooked brats.
- Cover & keep warm however you see fit -- crockpot works great!