From the book "Artichoke to Za'atar". Posted for ZWT6. Time does not include 4 - 8 hours marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pound the cardamom pods to loosen the husks. Use a mortar and pestle to pound the seeds, releasing their flavor. Add the garlic, salt, and oregano; and continue to pound until the ingredients are well mixed.
- 2Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and continue to crush until you have a smooth paste.
- 3Rub 3/4 of the paste over the hens, making sure you cover all of their surfaces.
- 4Mix the remaining paste with the remaining olive oil, and pour over the birds, reserving a little bit to baste with while grilling.
- 5Cover and marinate for at least four and up to eight hours, turning occasionally.
- 6Preheat a grill to high.
- 7Season the birds with plenty of pepper, then place on the grill and sear being careful of flare-ups, until the skin is golden.
- 8Move the birds to indirect heat, and grill until completely cooked, basting with the reserved marinate during the last few minutes of cooking.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Game Hens With Cardamom and Oregano
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.8
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 217.4 mg
- Sodium 1907.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 48.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: