Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the book "Artichoke to Za'atar". Posted for ZWT6. Time does not include 4 - 8 hours marinating time.
- 18 cardamom pods
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oregano, fresh or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 4 Cornish hens, butterflied (3/4 to 1 pound each)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Pound the cardamom pods to loosen the husks. Use a mortar and pestle to pound the seeds, releasing their flavor. Add the garlic, salt, and oregano; and continue to pound until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and continue to crush until you have a smooth paste.
- Rub 3/4 of the paste over the hens, making sure you cover all of their surfaces.
- Mix the remaining paste with the remaining olive oil, and pour over the birds, reserving a little bit to baste with while grilling.
- Cover and marinate for at least four and up to eight hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat a grill to high.
- Season the birds with plenty of pepper, then place on the grill and sear being careful of flare-ups, until the skin is golden.
- Move the birds to indirect heat, and grill until completely cooked, basting with the reserved marinate during the last few minutes of cooking.
Very good -- I only marinated for a little over an hour though -- enjoyed the cornish hens. Tender and juicy. Thanks for sharing!