Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From 365 Ways to Cook Chicken.
- 2 Cornish hens, halved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 350. Season hens with basil, oregano, and pepper.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter in oil over moderately hight heat. Add hens and saute, turning once, 4 minutes per side, until browned. Transfer to a small baking dish.
- Add shallots to pan, reduce heat to low, and saute until soft, 1-2 minutes.
- Add white wine and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour over the hens.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices.
- Raise heat to 425, uncover and bake 5 minutes until hens are tender and skin crisp.