Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This has been our family favorite since I first stumbled across it in 2005. It's originally from Southern Living, October 2000. I will sometimes brown the beef, onion and garlic in a pan, then dump all the ingredients in a slow cooker. Let simmer on low for 7-8 hours.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- pickled jalapeno pepper, slices
- Cook first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well.
- Combine meat mixture, beans, and next 11 ingredients in Dutch oven (I usually start off with half the beef broth and beer, and add more as needed); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 hours or until thickened. Garnish, if desired.