An American in Spain's Note:
This is probably one of the most famous Spanish tapas, available throughout Spain. Although my recipe is original, it is authentic as I have constantly revised it duplicating the flavors and consistency I have had in the best tapas bars. Although this can be made in any oven proof dish, I recommend a "cazuela" (terra cotta dish). Although difficult to find, it can be purchased online through "www.tienda.com".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the shrimp in the oven proof ceramic dish, approximately 8 inches in diameter and at least 1 inch high.
- 2Add garlic and pepper slices and cover with oil.
- 3Sprinkle paprika and salt on top of oil.
- 4If the dish can be used on the stove burner, heat on top of stove over medium high heat for about 5 minutes until the oil is bubbly and the shrimp are cooked.
- 5If dish can not be used directly on the burner, place under the broiler in the oven and broil until the oil is bubbly and the shrimp are cooked (about 5 minutes after the oil starts to bubble) Do not overcook as the shrimp will become tough.
- 6Serve with crispy french bread.
- 7Great for soaking up the heated garlic oil.
Browse Our Top Spanish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gambas Al Ajillo ( Garlic Shrimp)
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.2
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 115.2 mg
- Sodium 310.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 16.4 g