Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ireland has two types of oysters, Native ( flat) and a kind of rock oyster (gigas).Native oysters are seasonal and the gigas are available all year round. This is a great recipe for oyster lovers. It is from the cookbook "Elegant Irish Cooking"
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushroom
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons cream
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine, dry
- 1⁄4 cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 20 oysters, shucked,liquor reserved
- 1⁄2 cup white breadcrumb
- Heat oven to 400F degrees.
- Saute the onions& mushrooms lightly in the butter.
- Add flour& cook gently 2 minutes.
- Combine milk& Cream, add to onion, mushroom mixture.
- Bring to a boil stirring frequently.
- Add Sherry, cayenne, parslery& oyster liquor to the sauce.
- Arrange opened oysters on individual oven proof plates (cassoulets).
- Pour over the sauce and sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake 14 minutes and they are golden.