Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
When I was a forester in Michigan's Upper Peninsula thirty years ago, I was working one cold day in a forest owned by a old Polish lady. She invited me in for lunch and served me this delicious soup. I asked her for the recipe. This year we've had a cool summer here in Michigan and my wife asked me to prepare this soup.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 10 1⁄2 ounces tomato can water
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Brown hamburger, onion, celery and green pepper in kettle. Add diced tomatoes, condensed tomato soup and soup can of water.
- Add cabbage and bring to a bubbly boil.
- Add the rice and simmer slowly for 30-40 minutes.