1/6 Photos of Gallo Pinto (Costa Rican Rice and Beans)
Kozmic Blues's Note:
I found this recipe in a copy of Vegetarian Times. Gallo Pinto translates as "painted rooster", and is a dish eaten by many Costa Ricans almost every day. The addition of ginger and Worcestershire adds a quite unique flavor to this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetarian worcestershire sauce (regular can be used as well)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- sliced green onion (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and sauté until it just begins to soften and turns color.
- 3Add garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until onion is golden.
- 4Add spices and Worcestershire, and stir into onion and garlic.
- 5(The first time I made this, I was afraid to add the full 3 Tbsp of Worcestershire, but the addition of the rice balances the flavor out).
- 6Next, add the beans and then the rice.
- 7Combine the rice and beans evenly and cook until mixture is heated through.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- 9Garnish with some chopped cilantro or green onions if you prefer.
- 10Vegetarians use only the vegetarian Worcestershire sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gallo Pinto (Costa Rican Rice and Beans)
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.3
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian worcestershire sauce