Recipe by Chef Johnny Ringo
This recipe was actually posted by TheMom51 in her reply to Gallo Pinto (Costa Rican Rice and Beans). I thought I'd post it as a searchable recipe. Her original comment was: Just thought I'd add my Costa Rican daughter-in-law's recipe. It uses the traditional Salsa Lizano (you can order it over the Internet) which is probably why Matoszinho didn't think this recipe was quite right Preparation time does not include time to cook the rice. If you need to cook your rice add an additional 15 minutes to the prep time.
Top Review by Matoszinho
THANKS YOU TheMom51 for posting the recipe, and Chef Jonny Ringo for making it viewable to the rest of us! Salsa Lizano makes ALL the difference! Its so good i am using it in almost everything lately. I even used it as a salad dressing :) To whomever reads this review. Order you a bottle of Lizano Salsa of the net (i got me some from amazon) and try this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon salsa, lizano
- 1 1⁄2 cups black beans, cooked
- 2 1⁄2 cups rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander, chopped (Celantro)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and bell pepper for about 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans and salsa and simmer for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Then, add the cooked rice and mix in the coriander.
- Cooked bacon, pork, chicken or sausage can be added. For breakfast, scrambled eggs can be added.