Recipe by Jennifer K.
I spent a couple of weeks in Costa Rica on a school trip and fell in love with their breakfast dish gallo pinto. Upon returning home, I browsed dozens of obscure websites to find a recipe that closest matched.
- 1 lb black beans, dry
- 8 -10 sprigs cilantro, fresh
- 1 small onion
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water
- 2 cups white rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 -3 tablespoon oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- For dry beans, soak overnight. Drain. Add fresh water, salt. Boil. Cover, simmer until beans are soft. About 3 hours.
- Chop onion, pepper, cilantro very fine.
- Saute dry rice in oil for 2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add 1/2 chopped onion/pepper/cilantro. Saute additional 2 minutes.
- Add water/chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, simmer until rice is tender. About 20 minutes.
- Mix rice and beans with remaining pepper/onion/cilantro and saute.
- Mix with some fresh cilantro right before serving.