Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Rice and beans for breakfast! No wonder I enjoyed Costa Rica so much :D
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped (small)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons salsa, lizano or 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups black beans or 2 cups red beans, cooked
- Heat up the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for a few minutes. You want it to be tender and start to brown.
- Add the minced garlic to the onion and brown.
- Stir the spices into onion and garlic mixture.
- Add beans and let simmer for a few minutes, but don’t let it dry out.
- Pour in the cooked rice and mix it with the beans.
- Enjoy topped with sour cream, chopped green onions, and cilantro, alongside Eggs (fried or scrambled), and platanos maduros.