Recipe by alijen
Another imitation from my trip to Costa Rica. A very typical side dish- potatoes cooked and served on corn tortillas, called "gallitos" in Costa Rica. ("Papas" are potatoes).
Top Review by Let's Cook!
Exactly the recipe I was looking for! I went on my honeymoon to Costa Rica and I've been wanting to duplicate this (though it was made with a firm, cubed squash in my experience.) Right before serving I mixed in a tablespoon or two or heavy whipping cream. Exactly like Costa Rica! Took me back to my honeymoon - I'll make again and again!!!
- 3 large potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika (if you can find it) or 1 teaspoon ground annatto seed (if you can find it)
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons chopped coriander, if desired, as garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and dice into small pieces.
- Sauté the finely chopped garlic in the oil and add some salt, about 1 teaspoon.
- Add the potatoes, sugar, and paprika.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat, about 20 minutes, adding water as needed to prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- Remove and serve on the corn tortillas, which you can warm in the oven on a cookie sheet at 200°F.
- Garnish, to taste, with chopped coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Also, a little sour cream or salsa is often served as an accompaniment.