Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another imitation from my trip to Costa Rica. A very typical side dish- potatoes cooked and served on corn tortillas, called "gallitos" in Costa Rica. ("Papas" are potatoes).
- Peel potatoes and dice into small pieces.
- Sauté the finely chopped garlic in the oil and add some salt, about 1 teaspoon.
- Add the potatoes, sugar, and paprika.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat, about 20 minutes, adding water as needed to prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- Remove and serve on the corn tortillas, which you can warm in the oven on a cookie sheet at 200°F.
- Garnish, to taste, with chopped coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Also, a little sour cream or salsa is often served as an accompaniment.
Exactly the recipe I was looking for! I went on my honeymoon to Costa Rica and I've been wanting to duplicate this (though it was made with a firm, cubed squash in my experience.) Right before serving I mixed in a tablespoon or two or heavy whipping cream. Exactly like Costa Rica! Took me back to my honeymoon - I'll make again and again!!!
I'm so excited I found this recipe! I can't wait to try it out!!!! I was an exchange student in Costa Rica, and I miss the food more than anything else! Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I ate this at a party in Costa Rica and had no idea what it was called until now. Thank you so so much!!!!
I made these with our elementary student group in Costa Rica. Very easy to make and delicious. I will make it again soon. They were a huge hit with parents and kids alike and I had a lot of requests for the recipe. It's definitely authentic- the Tico (locals) staff ate all the leftovers!