Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A friend got this from an old magazine
- 2 cups canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄4 cup Galliano
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 baked 9 inch pie shell
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons superfine sugar
- Place pineapple in medium saucepan with Galliano, sugar, cornstarch, butter and lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Beat egg yolks lightly and stir in some of the hot pineapple mixture.
- Quickly stir yolk mixture back into pineapple in saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, until filling is thick, about 1 minute.
- Cool slightly and pour into baked crust.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and salt.
- Beat in sugar 1 T at a time and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue on slightly warm filling, swirling into peaks and making sure all edges are completely sealed (this prevents it from shrinking).
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until meringue is delicately browned on tips.