Recipe by Galley Wench
UPDATE 9/09 Finished! This has been a work in progress, but I finally found the perfect formula for chili . . . spicy, but not mouth burning hot! Can't wait for the next chili cook-off!
Top Review by Love to Eat!!
Really good chili. I was craving chili but hate stereotypical boring chili. This fit the bill. I like the nod to Mexican/Latin American flavors. I made as instructed except used 4 chipotles and simmered a bit longer. Love the name as well. Don't forget the Cilantro Creme. Thanks for posting!!
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 1⁄2 lb lean pork sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, divided
- 1 large fresh poblano pepper, diced
- 1 medium diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed)
- 1 chipotle chile, in adobo seasoning (diced and seeded, adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (I use Hershey's Dark cocoa)
- 12 ounces beer, dark (or broth, use as needed)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 lime, juce of
- cilantro cream (Cilantro Cream)
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot brown ground beef, sausage, onion and garlic, breaking meat into small pieces. Drain of excess grease.
- Add poblano pepper and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, 1 cup beer and one can of black beans.
- Add ground cumin, chili powders, chipoltes, adobe sauce, oregeano, and cocoa.
- Bring to a boil, cover and turn down to a simmer and cook for 35 - 45 minutes, adding additional beer or broth as needed (keep in mind that the mashed black beans will be added as a thickner).
- Drain the remaining can of beans and lightly mash.
- To thicken, add the crushed black beans and adjust spices and liquid as needed.
- Bring to a simmer again for 5 minutes; squeeze in juice of one lime before serving.
- Garnish with Cilantro Cream Recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/171578.
- Serve with cornbread or tortillas.