1/1 Photo of Galley Wench's Spice-Sea Chili
1 hr 5 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
UPDATE 9/09 Finished! This has been a work in progress, but I finally found the perfect formula for chili . . . spicy, but not mouth burning hot! Can't wait for the next chili cook-off!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 1/2 lb lean pork sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, divided
- 1 large fresh poblano pepper, diced
- 1 medium diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed)
- 1 chipotle chile, in adobo seasoning (diced and seeded, adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (I use Hershey's Dark cocoa)
- 12 ounces beer, dark (or broth, use as needed)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 lime, juce of
- 1In a large pot brown ground beef, sausage, onion and garlic, breaking meat into small pieces. Drain of excess grease.
- 2Add poblano pepper and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 3Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, 1 cup beer and one can of black beans.
- 4Add ground cumin, chili powders, chipoltes, adobe sauce, oregeano, and cocoa.
- 5Bring to a boil, cover and turn down to a simmer and cook for 35 - 45 minutes, adding additional beer or broth as needed (keep in mind that the mashed black beans will be added as a thickner).
- 6Drain the remaining can of beans and lightly mash.
- 7To thicken, add the crushed black beans and adjust spices and liquid as needed.
- 8Bring to a simmer again for 5 minutes; squeeze in juice of one lime before serving.
- 9Garnish with Cilantro Cream Recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/171578.
- 10Serve with cornbread or tortillas.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Galley Wench's Spice-Sea Chili
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.4
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 58.9 mg
- Sodium 393.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 23.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: