Recipe by Galley Wench
While in Mexico each winter I usually enter at least one chili contest. I'm getting closer to first place. . . this was my (2nd Place) entry in the 2010 LoretoFest Chili Contest. This recipe is written for a pressure cooker, but can also be made on the stove-top. Adjust cooking times accordingly. If unable to find Arrachera Beef see Arrachera Beef Marinade to make your own.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb beef, Arrachera Beef (Arrachera Beef Marinade)
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground sausage (like Jimmy Dean)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chiopped
- 2 medium red peppers, roasted, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder, adjust to taste (I use a blend of Ancho, New Mexico and Spice Island Chili Powder)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced, do not drain
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (I use dark cocoa)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced, adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon chipotle adobo sauce, adjust to taste
- 1 cup broth
- 1 cup dark beer, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt, to taste
- 1 fresh lime
- 1 cup cilantro cream (See Cilantro Cream)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast Peppers:.
- Roast whole red peppers on grill until black blisters appear on all sides, about 12 minutes.
- Remove peppers from grill and place in a covered dish for 15 minutes.
- Carefully peel skins from peppers (best not to do under running water); seed and chop.
- Add olive oil to pressure cooker and heat.
- Add onions and celery to pot and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic,beef and sausage, breaking sausage into small pieces as it cooks.
- Cook until meat is browned.
- Drain off excess grease.
- To pressure cooker stir in poblano pepper, jalapenos, tomatoes, tomato paste, chipotle adobo sauce, broth, beer, oregano and cocoa.
- Place lid on pressure cooker and process for 15 minutes.
- Remove from stove and allow pressure to drop naturally, do not sure the quick method.
- Once pressure has dropped remove lid and add chili powder and black beans. Also add more beer or broth if additional liquid is needed.
- Return lid and bring back up to pressure and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the pressure to drop naturally.
- Remove lid, add roasted red peppers, addtional liquid (if need), salt and adjust spices as needed.
- Simmer without lid for 20- 30 minutes to thicken.
- Before serving, squeeze in juice of one lime.
- Pass the Cilantro Cream (Recipe #171578) and Cheddar Cheese.
- Serve with cornbread or tortillas.