1 hr 15 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
While in Mexico each winter I usually enter at least one chili contest. I'm getting closer to first place. . . this was my (2nd Place) entry in the 2010 LoretoFest Chili Contest. This recipe is written for a pressure cooker, but can also be made on the stove-top. Adjust cooking times accordingly. If unable to find Arrachera Beef see Arrachera Beef Marinade to make your own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb beef, Arrachera Beef (Arrachera Beef Marinade)
- 1/2 lb lean ground sausage (like Jimmy Dean)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chiopped
- 2 medium red peppers, roasted, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder, adjust to taste (I use a blend of Ancho, New Mexico and Spice Island Chili Powder)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced, do not drain
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (I use dark cocoa)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced, adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon chipotle adobo sauce, adjust to taste
- 1 cup broth
- 1 cup dark beer, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt, to taste
- 1 fresh lime
- 1Roast Peppers:.
- 2Roast whole red peppers on grill until black blisters appear on all sides, about 12 minutes.
- 3Remove peppers from grill and place in a covered dish for 15 minutes.
- 4Carefully peel skins from peppers (best not to do under running water); seed and chop.
- 6Add olive oil to pressure cooker and heat.
- 7Add onions and celery to pot and saute for 2 minutes.
- 8Add garlic,beef and sausage, breaking sausage into small pieces as it cooks.
- 9Cook until meat is browned.
- 10Drain off excess grease.
- 11To pressure cooker stir in poblano pepper, jalapenos, tomatoes, tomato paste, chipotle adobo sauce, broth, beer, oregano and cocoa.
- 12Place lid on pressure cooker and process for 15 minutes.
- 13Remove from stove and allow pressure to drop naturally, do not sure the quick method.
- 14Once pressure has dropped remove lid and add chili powder and black beans. Also add more beer or broth if additional liquid is needed.
- 15Return lid and bring back up to pressure and cook for 5 minutes.
- 16Remove from heat and allow the pressure to drop naturally.
- 17Remove lid, add roasted red peppers, addtional liquid (if need), salt and adjust spices as needed.
- 18Simmer without lid for 20- 30 minutes to thicken.
- 19Before serving, squeeze in juice of one lime.
- 20Pass the Cilantro Cream (Cilantro Cream) and Cheddar Cheese.
- 21Serve with cornbread or tortillas.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Galley Wench's Loretofest Chili
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 941.2
- Calories from Fat 532
- Total Fat 59.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 214.4 mg
- Sodium 1318.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 55.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: