This is from a cookbook called "Le guide de la cuisine traditionnelle acadienne" . It is a french acadian cookbook with a lot of old turn of the century recipes . I tried this one on my kids today and they loved it(even if it doesn't contain any sugar except for the molasses)I also substituted 1/2 cup oil instead of shortening that the original recipe called for . The cookies aren't overly sweet but still good and healthier. The original recipe called for more cloves and less cinnamon .
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water or tea and set aside to cool .In a large bowl ,mix molasses and oil together.Add beaten egg ,mix.
- Add water and baking soda .
- In a seperate bowl , mix together the rest of dry ingredients .
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet. You will have a nice soft dough .
- Drop by tbs onto a greased cookie sheet .
- Cook at 350F for 10 to 15 minute.