Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my favorite recipe for ribs. Korean-style short ribs are cut lengthwise across the rib bones, this is also known as ‘flanken’. The result is a thin strip of meat, about 8 to10 inches in length. The thin slices make for fast cooking on the grill, which makes them great to cook for company. We serve them with rice and various Korean side dishes. This recipe differs from the others posted on RecipeZaar as they are missing one crucial ingredient used by the Korean woman that taught this recipe to my husband. The ingredient is Coca Cola. Sounds strange, but it works wonderfully and helps to keep the meat tender and juicy. Prep time does not include the marinating time. The longer you marinate these ribs, the better they come out.
- 907.18 g beef short ribs (flanken cut)
- 118.29 ml light soy sauce
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 44.37 ml sesame oil
- 44.37 ml garlic (finely chopped)
- 44.37 ml rice wine (or Soju)
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- 236.59 ml Coca-Cola
- Place the ribs in a dish for marinating.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl, being sure to add the coke last, as it will foam up a bit when added to the other ingredients.
- Pour the marinade over the beef and massage it in for about one minute.
- Cover and let marinate for at least 4 hours turning at least once.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium hot.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade and place on the hot grill.
- Grill the ribs, turning once, to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with rice and a variety of Korean side dishes such as kimchi, namul (trio of vegetables) and musangchae (white radish salad) for a delicious Korean meal.
absolutely fabulous,,, i couldnt get short ribs at my local market so i picked up some very thinnly sliced ribeye and marinated it over nite then skewered it and grill it out on the grill,, OMG it was the best ive had outside of a korean restaurant,,, i will be using this again and again,, im also going to try it on chicken,, thanks so much
I let these marinate overnight. Very good! Since this is a pretty tough cut, it likes to be on the grill longer than you might cook other steaks.
I enjoyed this recipe very much. Made for New Kids on the Block.