Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From 'The Electric Slow Cooker Cookbook' (Circa 1976) I've been using this recipe for nearly 20 years. Sweet yet savory at the same time.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced peeled apple
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Combine all ingredients except brown sugar and dry mustard. Mix well. Shape into loaf.
- Place in slow cooker / crock pot.
- Combine brown sugar and dry mustard and spread over top.
- Cover and cook on High for 1 hour.
- Turn to Low and cook another 8-9 hours.
Made for dinner on friday with potatoes and salad. Was very juicy and tasty!! Never made meatlof in a crock pot before but since I have 2 I can make this and a side at the same time. Made for Fall 2009 PAC.
We really liked this. When my fiance says," Man, this is GOOD", I know it's a keeper. It was sweet, but I was forewarned, so I expected it. I LOVE the apples and onions in this. I made Axe's recipe#183500 to go with this. Wonderful meal!!!
This was a strong 4 star recipe for my family. My DH compared the sweet flavor to the cocktail meatballs he loves so was very happy. I did substitute unsweetened applesauce for the diced apples and baked in the oven instead of using a crock pot this time. The meatloaf held together well and slices beautifully. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I will be making this one again.