19th Feb 2002, a day I will cherish forever. A day that brought immense joy in my life. A day I was waiting for for so many months. I received from www.poetry.com, an anthology "Across the abyss" that contains 301 pages of delightful poetry written by amateur poets, mine was a part of it! I celebrated this day by serving this halwa to my parents and brother. They loved it, it's a rich sweet very popular in winter months and served at very special occasions! Try it, you will love it, GUARANTEED!
- Grate khoya and keep aside.
- Combine carrots and milk in a large heavy based pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook the carrots, stirring constantly, until all the milk dries up.
- Pour ghee into the carrots.
- Add khoya.
- Saute for a few minutes.
- Add sugar.
- Continue to cook and stir the carrot mixture till it dries.
- Remove from heat when still moist.
- Stir in the saffron, cardamom powder and almonds, reserving a few for garnish along with silver foil.
- Reheat carrot halwa just before serving with a little milk.
- If not serving immediately, refrigerate carrot halwa and re-heat and serve when desired.
- Handy hint: If u dont have khoya, use 1 cup whole milk powder mixed with 1 tsp ghee and 1-2 tbsp water to get a dough like consistency.
- This makes 100gms of khoya.