Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my favorite dessert to make when cooking Indian food. The sweet & creamy taste is a delicious end to a hot & spicy meal. I posted this recipe in 2004 and can't believe that here it is 2007 and no one has yet ventured trying it! Go Ahead, it's really delicious!!! :)
- 6 medium carrots, shredded
- 473.18 ml half-and-half
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 118.29 ml golden raisin
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine
- 2.46 ml ground cardamom
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml unsalted pistachios or 59.14 ml slivered almonds
- Heat carrots and half-and-half to boiling in saucepan; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, until all the half & half is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, raisins, butter, cardamom and salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until all of the brown sugar is dissolved and the mixture is of your desired consistency, (pudding-like) about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with pistachios or slivered almonds.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
This is almost like the dessert served in my local Indian restaurant. Very easy to make. I substituted evaporated milk for the half-and-half. It took less time for me than the recipe indicates -- only 30 minutes to absorb the evaporated milk, then only another 10 minutes until it was ready to serve. Yum!
This recipe had such good reviews that I thought to try it since I had loads of carrots in my fridge. So delicious!!! I used less butter than the recipe and added a bit of cinnamon at the end. It has to be the best carrot halwa I have ever had! In fact I am making it right now for a potluck with my friends. Thanks for posting this awesome dessert!!
Made this with dinner tonight and it was yummy! I didn't realize I didn't have the raisins until I needed them, so I had to leave them out. I will definitely be making this again, and won't forget to get the raisins! Also, I used fat free half and half and it was great. Thanks for a wonderful Indian dessert!