Recipe by - Carla -
This is my favorite dessert to make when cooking Indian food. The sweet & creamy taste is a delicious end to a hot & spicy meal. I posted this recipe in 2004 and can't believe that here it is 2007 and no one has yet ventured trying it! Go Ahead, it's really delicious!!! :)
Top Review by ohyoucook
This is almost like the dessert served in my local Indian restaurant. Very easy to make. I substituted evaporated milk for the half-and-half. It took less time for me than the recipe indicates -- only 30 minutes to absorb the evaporated milk, then only another 10 minutes until it was ready to serve. Yum!
- 6 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted pistachios or 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat carrots and half-and-half to boiling in saucepan; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, until all the half & half is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, raisins, butter, cardamom and salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until all of the brown sugar is dissolved and the mixture is of your desired consistency, (pudding-like) about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with pistachios or slivered almonds.
- Serve warm and enjoy!