Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from Gail's grandmother Zick, who came from Germany when she was 14. She was born in the 1880's. It has become one of our family traditions, and frequently a favorite Christmas present.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add sour cream and flavoring, mix well.
- Sift in dry ingredients.
- Refrigerate 8 hours or more.
- Roll thin.
- Cut with cookie cutters, making a hole for hanging.
- Bake at 350°F until only slightly brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Icing: Whip egg white until stiff.
- Add sugar and lemon juice as needed.
- Ice cookies.
- Decorate and let dry.
- Put dental floss through hole and hang on tree (making sure they are above level of hungry children or pets, or not!).
The whole family agreed that these were the best cookies I baked this year. I baked 1/2 the batter the first night and about 5 days later I bake the balance. They were terrific! Thanks for a great cookie recipe!
I grew up with these. A Christmas tradition.