Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Stir fried chicken with hot basil. From a Thai cooking class by Meera Freeman.
Make and share this Gai Pad Bai Gaprow recipe from Food.com.
- Pound the garlic and chili in a mortar until crushed.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the crushed chili and garlic for a few seconds.
- Add the chicken and stir fry until it begins to lose its raw, pink colour.
- Add the sugar, fish sauce and soy sauce and stir to blend.
- As soon as the chicken is cooked through, add the basil leaves and stir them through the chicken until they are wilted. Serve with steamed rice.
This was pretty good! I was lucky enough to have the hot basil growing outside in my herb garden. Instead of serving this with rice, I opted to put some on pieces of iceberg lettuce and drizzle the meat with sriracha sauce and eat like lettuce wraps. I do think the flavor of the meat would benefit with the addition of more basil, and also lime juice. But overall, very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing! ~Sue
I had no luck finding the hot basil, and even had a hard time finding thai basil, but eventually did and substituted that instead. Great recipe for a quick weeknight meal.
I think when you cook something that has an ingredient in its title (Bai Grapow) you really need to use that ingredient to make a fair rating! This was a tasty and easy stirfry, which my hubby and I enjoyed, but I had to use plain Thai Basil which just didn't have the flavour that I have experienced at my favourite Thai restaurant. I plan to grow some Bai Grapow in my herb garden this year, and will definitely try again!