Recipe by AmandaInOz
Stir fried chicken with hot basil. From a Thai cooking class by Meera Freeman.
Top Review by Sue Lau
This was pretty good! I was lucky enough to have the hot basil growing outside in my herb garden. Instead of serving this with rice, I opted to put some on pieces of iceberg lettuce and drizzle the meat with sriracha sauce and eat like lettuce wraps. I do think the flavor of the meat would benefit with the addition of more basil, and also lime juice. But overall, very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing! ~Sue
- 500 g chicken, minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 small fresh chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 1⁄2 cup hot basil leaves (bai gaprow)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound the garlic and chili in a mortar until crushed.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the crushed chili and garlic for a few seconds.
- Add the chicken and stir fry until it begins to lose its raw, pink colour.
- Add the sugar, fish sauce and soy sauce and stir to blend.
- As soon as the chicken is cooked through, add the basil leaves and stir them through the chicken until they are wilted. Serve with steamed rice.