Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In the days when travel through various parts of Thailand required journeying through areas of jungle, the people had to make do with what was available there. This recipe is so named because the ingredients and cooking method made it a suitable dish for the jungle. Best eaten in the presence of monkeys, tigers and snakes to keep it more authentic. :D Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
- 1 1⁄2 lbs catfish, Cut Into 1-inch Slices
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup Japanese eggplant
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sweet basil
- 10 whole kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemongrass
- 8 shallots
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped lesser ginger
- 8 dried jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon canned peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all the ingredients for the curry paste, using a mortar and pestle or a blender.
- Heat a large saucepan and add the oil and curry paste.
- Stir-fry for 1 minute on medium-high heat.
- Add the fish, fish sauce, water and eggplant and heat to boiling.
- Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and remove from the heat. Serve.