Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Moi's famous 2 layer cake
Make and share this Gabriels Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 (6 ounce) box chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- Cool Whip
- 1 (14 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, dairy
- 1 tablespoon 2% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix, pudding, cinnamon, eggs, oil and buttermilk, beat for 3 minutes until smooth, then pour into prepared cake pans .
- Bake the cake for 35- 40 minutes or until done when tested with toothpick.
- Set on cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, spread the top of the first cake with the cool whip, then gently place the cherries and a little of the sauce on top of the cool whip leaving a 1/2 inch margin. Place the remaining cake gently on top.
- Put the cake in the fridge while preparing the ganache frosting.
- To make the ganache, add the butter and chocolate chips in a small pot and melt slowly over low heat, then stir in milk and corn syrup until smooth. (3 - 5 minutes)
- Remove the pot from heat and stir the frosting then pour over the top of the cake.
- For a harder frosting place the cake in the fridge and for a softer topping leave the cake on the counter.
A lovely light, chocolate cake, with cherries and cool whip, great texture and crumb. Very refreshing and tasty. We enjoyed this very much and will make again and again.