Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Fred Wix, aka The Gabby Gourmet was a local (Utah)tv chef. This is a recipe that was reproduced in the local paper. I don't know who the widow is, but she obviously had good taste. As Gabby would say, "Enjoy!"
- 1 (9 -10 inch) unbaked pastry shells
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 -3 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced crabmeat (all should be precooked) or 1 1⁄2 cups shrimp (all should be precooked) or 1 1⁄2 cups ham (all should be precooked) or 1 1⁄2 cups bacon (all should be precooked)
- 8 ounces swiss cheese (shredded*) or 8 ounces monterey jack cheese (shredded*)
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush beaten egg white over the pastry shell. Set aside to dry. (This will keep the crust from getting soggy.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, flour, eggs and half-and-half. Blend well.
- Add desired meat, cheese, onions and nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry shell. Sprinkle parsley over the top.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until eggs are set and browned. Remove from oven and cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- *Use Swiss cheese with seafood and Jack cheese with the ham or bacon.