Prep1 hr 30 mins
Recipe by Nicole Routhier, found in "Classic Cooks". The marinade and chilli sauce is to-die-for! Prep time includes marinating time. You can baste with marinade when grilling the skewers. Can also do without skewers; just don't cut chicken too small.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and halved (approx 8)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 stalk thick lemongrass, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
Chilli Dipping Sauce
- 1 fresh red chile, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar (or distilled white vinegar)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- Place all marinade ingredients in food processor and blend till pureed.
- Transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Cut each chicken breast half lengthways into 4 strips.
- Lightly pound the strips to 1 cm/half inch thick using meat mallet or flat side of cleaver.
- Cut the strips in half and add to marinade.
- Toss well to coat with marinade.
- Cover and leave to marinate at room temperature for 1 hour or overnight in fridge.
- Soak 48 bamboo skewers in salted hot water for 30mins.
- Prepare the barbeque or preheat grill.
- Thread a slice of chicken on to each skewer.
- Grill each skewer, turning once, until chicken is browned on both sides and cooked through, about 3-4mins.
- Serve immediately, with chilli dipping sauce.
- Chilli Dipping Sauce: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Transfer to jar, cover and store in fridge up to a week, if not using immediately.
Everyone liked this except for me... I did not make the dipping sauce because I simply ran out of time. Will make again with sauce and see if that doesn't do the trick for me. 9 other people thought it was great!
Excellent flavor to this chicken. I did marinate the chicken overnight and forgot to make the dipping sauce. We actually didn't miss it one bit. Served with rice and Cucumber Asian Salad #75231. Thank you WaterMelon for sharing the recipe. It is one I am sure to return to.