Recipe by echo echo
Curry translated into a Chinese dish--another old favorite from my well-thumbed copy of Jim Lee's Chinese Cookbook. The original recipe called for MSG but I don't use that so I've omitted it; if you want it anyway the amount is 1 tsp and it's in the marinade described in Step 1. The preparation time shown includes the 30 minutes for marinating the meat.
Top Review by KAB87
I made a few adjustments to the recipe: I didn't have fresh ginger, so I used a teaspoon of powdered, instead of sugar I used a tablespoon of mirin (since I had it on hand), and I added an eight ounce package of sliced mushrooms. I didn't brown the garlic or onion - instead I just cooked them until soft. Instead of chicken broth I used half a teaspoon of beef bouillon and omitted the salt.<br/><br/>This was fantastic over steamed rice and I will definitely be making it again!
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb sirloin steaks (about 2 cups) or 1 lb flank steak, trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch thick strips (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 slices gingerroot, shredded
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup onion, sliced and separated into rings
- chopped scallion (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the sugar, soy sauce and 1 Tbsp oil; use mixture to marinate the sliced beef for 30 minutes.
- Drain the marinade from the beef and add the cornstarch, curry powder and chicken stock to the marinade.
- Dry-heat wok or large skillet over high heat, then add 1 1/2 Tbsp oil and use to stir-fry the garlic, ginger and salt until garlic and ginger are golden brown.
- Add the marinated beef and brown quickly on outside, about 1 minute; remove to a bowl.
- Clean wok or pan and heat it hot and dry again; add 1 1/2 Tbps oil and stir-fry onion rings until golden brown.
- Stir in the curry-marinade mixture and heat, stirring, until it thickens.
- Return beef to the pan, mixing thoroughly.
- Serve garnished with shopped scallions.