Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I like to think it is a sophisticated cake to have with tea or with some ice cream and stewed apples for dessert. Whenever I bake this, I usually leave out the dates and pecans because I never buy them.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 apples, peeled and grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F Grease a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, and set aside.
- Beat the eggs until they are creamy and pale, add the oil in a slow, steady stream while beating. Add the apple juice, honey, brown sugar and apples. Mix well. Beat in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon, then stir in the dates and pecans.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center coms out clean, about 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then unmould.
- Serve the cake warm with a scoop of ice cream and, if possible, some stewed apples.