From Van Gogh's Table. Thanks to roz for directing me to this recipe.
Make and share this Gâteau De Pommes Grand-Mère (Grandmother's Apple Ca recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped (Jonagold, or other baking apple are also good)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons calvados (apple brandy)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease an 8-inch round cake pan (no need to grease if pan is nonstick).
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the apples, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the Calvados, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, and the cinnamon. Set aside until needed.
- Whisk together the yogurt and the remaining sugar in a large bowl, until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Combine the flour and baking soda, then add the oil and eggs, whisking well after each addition. Stir the apple pieces into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly. Set on a sturdy baking sheet and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Note: The cake is best made several hours before serving, or better yet, the night before.