Recipe by groovyrooby
Peanuts (g-nut = groundnut = peanut) and onions and sweet potatoes! This salty-sweet dish is a Vegetarian Times reader recipe contest winner, submitted by Lauren Baker (adapted slightly here). My self-professed sweet potato hating husband requests this often, much to my amazement. The richness of the potato-peanut combo and the smooth-crunchy textures make this unusual Uganda-inspired meal in a bowl a real treat. And it all comes together so quickly you can be happily scarfing it down in no time!
- 118.29 ml vegetable broth (I double this to thin the sauce)
- 36.97 ml smooth peanut butter (I use natural crunchy PB)
- 9.85 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 9.85 ml peanut oil (I usually use olive oil)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 118.29 ml cooked chickpeas (I usually double this. We really like chickpeas.)
- 141.74 g fresh spinach
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml lemon juice
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml turmeric
- 59.14 ml roasted salted peanuts (I chop them up.)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the sauce, combine broth, peanut butter, tomato paste, lemon juice, and garlic in a small pan and simmer over low heat 1-2 minutes.
- Poke holes all over sweet potatoes with fork. Microwave on high 7-10 minutes, or until soft. Let cool in microwave. (I have cooked them this way, but I prefer to bake the potatoes in the oven at 375 for an hour prior to making - the day before, earlier in the week, whenever I know I can babysit the oven for an hour or so - and briefly reheat them when making this. They taste better & peel more easily.).
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion 4 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Add chickpeas and saute 2 minutes more.
- Stir in spinach, reduce heat to low, and simmer 3-5 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Scoop sweet potato flesh into bowl and mash with cumin, lemon juice, salt, and turmeric.
- Divide sweet potato mixture between two bowls. Top with chickpea mixture and cover with sauce.
- Garnish with peanuts and enjoy warm!