Peanuts (g-nut = groundnut = peanut) and onions and sweet potatoes! This salty-sweet dish is a Vegetarian Times reader recipe contest winner, submitted by Lauren Baker (adapted slightly here). My self-professed sweet potato hating husband requests this often, much to my amazement. The richness of the potato-peanut combo and the smooth-crunchy textures make this unusual Uganda-inspired meal in a bowl a real treat. And it all comes together so quickly you can be happily scarfing it down in no time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (I double this to thin the sauce)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (I use natural crunchy PB)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil (I usually use olive oil)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas (I usually double this. We really like chickpeas.)
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup roasted salted peanuts (I chop them up.)
- 1To make the sauce, combine broth, peanut butter, tomato paste, lemon juice, and garlic in a small pan and simmer over low heat 1-2 minutes.
- 2Poke holes all over sweet potatoes with fork. Microwave on high 7-10 minutes, or until soft. Let cool in microwave. (I have cooked them this way, but I prefer to bake the potatoes in the oven at 375 for an hour prior to making - the day before, earlier in the week, whenever I know I can babysit the oven for an hour or so - and briefly reheat them when making this. They taste better & peel more easily.).
- 3Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion 4 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- 4Add chickpeas and saute 2 minutes more.
- 5Stir in spinach, reduce heat to low, and simmer 3-5 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- 6Scoop sweet potato flesh into bowl and mash with cumin, lemon juice, salt, and turmeric.
- 7Divide sweet potato mixture between two bowls. Top with chickpea mixture and cover with sauce.
- 8Garnish with peanuts and enjoy warm!
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for G-Nut Special Sauce and Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 560.0
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 971.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 20.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: