1/1 Photo of Günter Hornburg’s Bienenstich
1 hr 5 mins
Authentic recipe from a German pastry chef living in Franken (Bavaria). As a matter of fact, Günter doesn’t live very far away from me! One of many Bienenstich recipes in my possession. Relatively easy and quick to make. Posted in response to buzzonesbirdie and her wish to get the “unamericanized version” of this popular German treat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 (10 g) package vanilla sugar (or 1/2 tsp.vanilla)
- 1 (15 g) package german baking powder (Backpulver, or 1 tsp fresh baking powder)
- 1Combine whipping cream and sugar till smooth, add eggs one at a time,beating well.
- 2Add flour, vanilla sugar, and baking powder and mix well.
- 3Place a thin layer of this mixture in two greased, well floured jelly roll pans. Remember, this makes two pans. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- 4Topping: Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- 5Stir in sugar, honey and cream. Stir mixture and boil for 5 minutes. Add almonds and vanilla.
- 6Set aside to cool until warm. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- 7Final step: Spread almond mixture on top of partially baked bottom layer of cake. Bake another 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown.
- 8Fill with either whipped cream, vanilla pudding lightened with whipping cream, or leave plain. A lot of people fill it with instant vanilla pudding if they don’t have a lot of time.
- 9There are many, many varieties of Bienenstich in Germany and all kinds of ways to serve and eat it.
Nutritional Facts for Günter Hornburg’s Bienenstich
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.3
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 110.4 mg
- Sodium 302.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 33.3 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: