Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From a little Norwegian Recipes book of mine.
- 1 cup blanched almond
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup egg white, unbeaten
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄3 cup raspberry jam (optional)
- almond paste
- Using a very fine blade of food chopped, grind almonds 3 times. Blend with powdered sugar, unbeaten egg whites, 1 egg, 1/4 cup butter and almond extract. Refrigerate this mixture.
- In small bowl, with electric mixer on medium, mix 1/2 cup butter with granulated sugar and 1 egg. Fold in flour, refrigerate this dough 15 minutes.
- On lightly floured wax paper, roll 2/3 of dough into 11 inch circle, 1/8 inch thick. Place dough side in 9 inch layer cake pan. Carefully pull off paper. Fit in pan; patch if needed to make the top even.
- Spread jam, then almond paste over dough on pan bottom. Roll reserved third of dough into rectangle 1/8 inch thick.
- With pastry wheel, cut 6- 8x3/4 inch strips. Lay 3 strips, 1 1/4 inch apart, over almond paste; lay rest at right angles.
- Re-roll pastry trimmings; cut 5- 5x3/4 inch strips. Place, end to end, against inside edge of pan; with pastry wheel, trim even with top of cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, cool in pan.
- With spatula, carefully lift out cake. Cut into wedges and serve.