Recipe by BirdyBaker
This is a recipe for futo-maki (thick roll) It is my mother's favorite type of maki sushi and I make it a lot for her. Kampyo is dried gourd and can be found in most Asian markets or in the foreign foods section of the supermarket.
- 4 cups cooked rice (sushi rice)
- 4 sheets nori (dried seaweed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ounce dried gourd
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup dashi stock
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- cucumber, cut into sticks (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and soak kampyo and shitake mushrooms in water and let sit for an hour.
- Slice kampyo and mushrooms into pieces about 8 inches long.
- Place dashi stock, sugar, mirin and soy sauce, kampyo and mushrooms in a pan and simmer for around an hour.
- Let cool.
- Beat eggs and add sugar to the eggs.
- Make a firm omelette and cut it into long strips.
- Put a sheet of nori on top of a bamboo sushi mat and spread a cup of sushi rice on top of the nori.
- Place 1/4 of ingredients lengthwise on the rice and roll in a jelly roll fashion, pressing forward slowly and firmly to form a cylinder.
- Remove sushi from mat and cut into 4-6 bite sized pieces.
- Repeat with the rest of the nori.