Recipe by Marie
A no fail sponge cake! Split each layer and spread with lemon pie filling or custard and frost with whipped cream. Also great for strawberry shortcake or your favorite trifle recipe.
Top Review by Chrissyo
Thank you Marie for a definitely fuss free sponge cake. Within an hour I had this beautiful sponge sitting on bench top cooling. The sponge rose well and looks great and tasted even better.
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Line the bottoms of two 9" cake pans with waxed paper or parchment.
- Beat eggs, add 1/2 cup sugar, then beat for 4 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Stir in water.
- Gradually add flour and baking powder and mix on low speed of electric mixer.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.