Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A no fail sponge cake! Split each layer and spread with lemon pie filling or custard and frost with whipped cream. Also great for strawberry shortcake or your favorite trifle recipe.
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- Line the bottoms of two 9" cake pans with waxed paper or parchment.
- Beat eggs, add 1/2 cup sugar, then beat for 4 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Stir in water.
- Gradually add flour and baking powder and mix on low speed of electric mixer.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Thank you Marie for a definitely fuss free sponge cake. Within an hour I had this beautiful sponge sitting on bench top cooling. The sponge rose well and looks great and tasted even better.
I really wanted this recipe to work, but it didn't. I also got rubbery results, and I'm guessing it had something to do with the quality of my eggs, or just not beating them the right amount of time. The flavor was spot on, but texture didn't work for what I needed the cake for.
the cake i made was very rubbery and thick. i followed the directions, but maybe its because i overmixed? it still tasted good, but i was expecting a lighter cake.