East Wind Goddess's Note:
This dish is a fusion of Mediterranean and Asian seasoning. It's a celebration of complementary flavors, sweet and savory, perfect for a Sunday brunch or a light supper. Make it a vegetarian option by using Morningstar Farms or similar crumbles in place of the Italian sausage flavored with a hint of sage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1 onion, sweet (such as Vidalia or Maui)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, as needed
- 4 portabella mushrooms, cleaned and patted dry
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups arugula, washed and rinsed
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple
- 2 ounces brie cheese, divided 4 ways
- 4 tablespoons macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Saute the sausage until brown and set aside, allowing it to cool. Add olive oil to make 1 T in the pan and saute the oinion until carmelized and golden brown. Remove from heat, toss in the arugula leaves and keep gently tossing until the leaves are wilted. Set aside.
- 3Mix the ricotta cheese, crushed pineapple, and ginger together with the Italian sausage.
- 4Brush the portobello mushrooms with the sesame oil and invert onto a cookie sheet or roasting pan. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bake for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- 5Take a generous scoop of the sausage mixture and mound it into a mushroom cap, flattening the top somewat. Put a 1/2-oz slice of brie cheese on the patty, then put one quarter of the onion-arugula mixture on top. Sprinkle with the chopped macadamia nuts. Repeat for the remaining three mushrooms.
- 6Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fusion Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.1
- Calories from Fat 344
- Total Fat 38.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 79.6 mg
- Sodium 799.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 31.2 g