Recipe by Roosie
Credited to the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission from the book "The Color Code." Can easily be made vegetarian by using vegetable broth in lieu of chicken broth and made vegan by substituting butter with oil or margarine (and omitting the sour cream or serving it with a vegan alternative instead).
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped (~1 cup)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (~2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- sour cream, and
- chopped roasted peanuts, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Sauté ginger, celery and onion until soft and fragrant (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add curry powder, cinnamon, cayenne, and nutmeg.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add sweet potatoes, broth, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- When boil is reached, lower heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and cooked through.
- Puree in batches in a blender or with a stick blender.
- Add milk to thin.
- Serve hot, garnished with sour cream and roasted chopped peanuts.