Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This pumpkin soup is my latest creation and the result of combining many different traditional pumpkin soup recipes to create a new fusion. My husband loved it so much he has requested I make another batch tomorrow.
- 1 whole pumpkin (preference for butternut)
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 inch gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 red chili pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees celsius.
- Peel the sweet potato and wrap it in baking paper and then cover in foil so no paper is exposed.
- Place the sweet potato, garlic clove with skin on, onion with skin on and pumpkin (cut in half) with skin on in a non-stick roasting pan with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Roast in the oven till all tender. Approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and once cooled remove the skin of the garlic, onion and pumpkin. Also removing foil and baking paper from the sweet potato.
- Place a drizzle of olive oil and all the roasted ingredients in a saucepan or dutch oven on the stove with medium heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot as well - stock, coconut milk, finely chopped ginger and chili and spices.
- Stir together and watch for 5 minutes.
- Once combined use a hand stick blender or similar to puree the ingredients.