Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
American Chop Suey turned on it's head! Reminiscent of Greek cuisine with the addition of cinnamon...an Asian twist with the switch to rice noodles. Made for RSC #9.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 28 ounces canned whole tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb straight cut rice noodles
- Heat oil in large skillet or saucepan.
- Saute chopped onion 3 minutes. Add chopped garlic & saute 2 minutes more.
- Add ground beef & saute until browned, breaking up large chunks.
- Sprinkle on cinnamon & stir in.
- Add can of tomatoes & simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally & breaking up the tomatoes a bit.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- While sauce is cooking, cook rice noodles approximately 5 minutes in a large pot of boiling salted water. Drain.
- Combine sauce & noodles. Enjoy.
I made this tonight and it wasnt what I expected. I found it rather bland and the rice noodles just didnt seem to go with the dish. My husband actually chose not to finish his plate, he disliked it so much. I am not sure what would improve this dish as I added ginger and red pepper but still found it bland. We will not try it again.
Very Nice, almost Morroccan in flavor.
We found this good. We will no doubt make it again in the future. It was quick and easy and many nights we are looking for that.