Recipe by Elmotoo
American Chop Suey turned on it's head! Reminiscent of Greek cuisine with the addition of cinnamon...an Asian twist with the switch to rice noodles. Made for RSC #9.
Top Review by amers411
I made this tonight and it wasnt what I expected. I found it rather bland and the rice noodles just didnt seem to go with the dish. My husband actually chose not to finish his plate, he disliked it so much. I am not sure what would improve this dish as I added ginger and red pepper but still found it bland. We will not try it again.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 28 ounces canned whole tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb straight cut rice noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet or saucepan.
- Saute chopped onion 3 minutes. Add chopped garlic & saute 2 minutes more.
- Add ground beef & saute until browned, breaking up large chunks.
- Sprinkle on cinnamon & stir in.
- Add can of tomatoes & simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally & breaking up the tomatoes a bit.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- While sauce is cooking, cook rice noodles approximately 5 minutes in a large pot of boiling salted water. Drain.
- Combine sauce & noodles. Enjoy.