Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Vegetarian Times.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bunches arugula, trimmed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 ounces dried fusilli or 12 ounces rotini pasta
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in Dutch oven or large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add lentils and mix well. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender and flavors have blended, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in arugula and simmer, uncovered, until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice and pepper.
- Shortly before sauce is ready, add fusilli to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and place in large warm serving bowl. Add lentil mixture and toss. Serve immediately.