Fusilli With Lentil and Arugula Sauce
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in Dutch oven or large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add lentils and mix well. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender and flavors have blended, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in arugula and simmer, uncovered, until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice and pepper.
- Shortly before sauce is ready, add fusilli to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and place in large warm serving bowl. Add lentil mixture and toss. Serve immediately.