Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Cooking Light, August 2007. This is a pretty fresh pasta dish that can be on the table in a flash.
- 8 ounces fusilli
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, sliced
- 1 cup peas (frozen work great, thaw before using)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Cook pasta until al dente, adding the asparagus for the last minute of cooking time.
- Place the peas in a colander, then drain the pasta and asparagus over the top of them (this will just heat the peas without overcooking them).
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Combine broth and cornstarch, add to pan and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring, until broth starts to thicken, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add cream, juice, salt, and peppers.
- Stir to combine.
- Add pasta and vegetables to the sauce, tossing gently to coat.
- Serve immediately.
Love the sauce! Light weight yet flavorful! We ate every bit of it. I did cook the asparagus longer--added last 3 minutes.
What a nice way to dress up pasta. My sauce did not thicken, but that did not detract from the flavor. I might make the sauce with a roux next time, as that would also be better for reheating. But the combination of flavors is delightful.
I had reviewed this, but the review doesn't seem to have shown up, so I'm having another go .... this was excellent!! I didn't realise when I tagged it that asparagus was out of season, therefore I had to use a tin, but this turned out to be a happy choice, I'm not crazy about asparagus and rather enjoyed the more mellow flavour and texture of the canned asparagus. The sauce was smooth and full of flavour, I squeezed a whole small lemon and really enjoyed the citrus tang. Draining the pasta over the peas thawed frozen) worked very well, and I added the aspapragus when I tossed everything together. very much enjoyed this and will definitely be making it again!!! Made for PRMR tag game.